• Breaking News

    Tuesday, October 19, 2021

    Lord of the Rings Online | When you show up for the final battle of the Second Age and all you brought is your fists...

    Lord of the Rings Online | When you show up for the final battle of the Second Age and all you brought is your fists...


    When you show up for the final battle of the Second Age and all you brought is your fists...

    Posted: 18 Oct 2021 03:35 PM PDT

    Red Brawler Feedback: In Need of Changes But Still Fun

    Posted: 18 Oct 2021 11:25 PM PDT

    The Brawler is the newest class in Lotro, and I'd classify it as the love child between wardens and champions, a melee based combo class with a secondary resource that can be spent to use higher tier skills. I've recently leveled one on the Treebeard server to level 50 (the maximum on the server) with a playtime sitting around 36 hours. A few factors on Treebeard specifically (the only server to not feature the new LI revamp, at level 50, the difficulty options in which I played on Hard until 50 and turned it off, etc.) may have some factors in my feedback, but I'll try to limit that as much as I can or infer to other knowledge when available. I'm gonna format this in a "Good/Bad/ugly" kind of way, feel free to chime in with personal feedback and here we go :)

    Editors note: Coming back through, this post sounds pretty harsh. That is in no way the intention. I want what is best for this class and I know the devs do too. There are no insults towards anyone and I'm simply stating my issues with the class (which are more than a few) and offer solutions to make it better.

    Good

    1. Gameplay Loop/Rotation: The main mechanic a brawler has to keep in mind when fighting is their inner strength buffs. Any damaging skill the brawler has that is not one of their setup attacks is classified as a quick, balanced, or heavy attack. Using one of these skills will upgrade a different inner strength buff in relation to which type of attack you used. This gives what could be a very generic "punch things until they die" class a sense of fluidity and purpose to using your skills. This is easily my favorite part of the class.
    2. Aesthetic/Immersion: When you play a brawler, you feel like a chad. Orcs? They got teeth knock em out. Wolves? Head butt em. Birds? Head butt em (I love the headbutt). Cargul? Knee em in the chin. The titles you get from the Brawler class quests are some of my favorite, they make me chuckle. Battle Gauntlets look so cool. It's hard to exactly convey how it makes you feel to play a brawler, but it's unmistakable that when I play the Brawler I know what I'm getting into, and it involves a lot of fists and/or heads. Also the throw cup move is pretty funny.

    Bad

    1. Sound Design: This may be nit picky, but as punchy as the Brawler FEELS, it doesn't really SOUND that way. Idk how hard it'd be to update some of these sounds (head butt sounds great don't touch it) but it'd be really nice if we could get some "punchier" sounds.
    2. AoE Skills Having 3 Targets at Default: Compared to the elder classes of Warden and Champion, Brawler has a MUCH harder time dealing with groups. Giving their single target damage isn't much to write home about (I'll get there), their aoe potential being not great at default does feel kind of strange. In the yellow tree there is an option to increase this to 6 targets, but even that still puts it behind some other classes default while being down 3 skill points.
    3. Too Much Emphasis on Cooldowns: Compared to other classes, the Brawler has A LOT of cooldown skills that are vital to your success. At level 50 I count 6 cooldown skills (30, 40, 60, 75 2 at 3 minutes). This can make general questing/mobbing feel kinda sluggish and slow when you are popping a ton of cooldowns instead of using damaging abilities. One suggestion I have to remedy this is to combine quick feint and get serious, both of which are damage buffs that restore mettle. Not sure why we need 2 of them when they are so similar and can just be lumped together. This will also help with some other issues down the line.
    4. General Sluggish Feeling: A lot of factors combine into this, too many cooldowns I just mentioned right before, many of which have decently long animations that can't be canceled which is even less time punching stuff in the face on the punch stuff in the face class and a general lack of flow between abilities. A few of the other issues/solutions I recommend will factor into this but this but some potential smoothing out of animations could also help.
    5. Set-up Attacks Are Very Weak: If you are doing an optimal rotation, your setup attacks make up 50 percent of all attacks you do, and given the damage rolls they can be weaker than auto attacks. This contributes heavily to the sluggish feeling imo, and a general damage boost to these attacks would help make combat flow much smoother.
    6. Lack of Movement Speed Buffing Skill: Brawlers run at people and punch them, not being able to run fast into punching feels not great. The sprint skill red tree guardian has that increases damage, gives a guaranteed crit, knocks down enemies hit, and gives melee damage would fit SO PERFECTLY into Brawler, please give us one of these.

    Ugly

    1. Poor DPS Compared to Other Classes: This is a big one. A Brawlers main role is DPS, and it's frankly not good at it. On top of everything I mentioned in the bad section, most skills just simply lack the damage numbers. Even at level 50 with no increased difficulty selected, some mob encounters slug along compared to how other classes would do. On Guard I can press two buttons and do a guaranteed 10-15k damage with a relatively low cooldown. I can aoe groups of 7-8 down in two skills without having to use 3 cooldowns with long animations beforehand to do it. On Hunter I can kill 4 enemies from range before they even touch me, on champ/warden I can aoe entire maps in seconds while also doing very good single target damage. Brawlers don't have nearly as much aoe and their single target damage is pretty poor/inconsistent. Brawlers just need a damage buff, they are easily the weakest of the damage focused classes. On a side note I've done a few group instances on red Brawler and MAN do I feel completely useless lol. I can give everyone 20% attack duration for 30 seconds which is cool but when it comes to just doing damage it's ROUGH compared to other classes in a group.
    2. Finesse Inner Strength is Useless: The second inner strength you unlock grants you finesse, and it didn't take long for me to figure out how useless that is. When leveling I had crafted gear the whole time and was at finesse cap anyway so it was 100% useless to get finesse. If I didn't have crafted gear, the amount of finesse wouldn't have been enough to get me to cap, so enemies would still BPE my stuff, making that practically worthless as well. In any end game scenario, you are gonna cap your finesse through gear on a damage class, making that once again useless. It made me not use the skills that gave me the finesse buff since why would I do that when I could get the damage/crit from the other two? This should just be flat out changed to -attack duration, it would be a very useful change that would help the class feel clunky without having to use yet another long cooldown with a decently long animation.
    3. Mettle Management in Prolonged Fights: You can go through Mettle VERY quickly on brawler, and even with all the Mettle restoring skills available, you can be Mettle Starved in longer fights. One of the only ways for Brawlers to generate mettle without a cooldown skill is revel in victory, which requires a last hit kill. In prolonged fights (especially against single target boss type enemies and group content) you aren't getting much of those. I know once again the yellow tree can help with this but I feel like even with all of that I'd be feeling Mettle starved at some point during boss fights, which is not great for DPS. A simple small solution would be add a trait where crits restore 1 mettle.

    Bugs That I've Noticed

    1. Sometimes Inner Strengths don't tier up for some reason: Not sure exactly what causes it or why but yeah I've noticed sometimes it just decided to not tier up. Usually happens at max stacks of that inner strength.
    2. The Cap Stone Skill "Battle Fury" Does Not Apply to Already Acquired Mettle. The skill states that the bonus damage you get from mettle is increased for a short duration and gives you 3 mettle. If you cast this skill while already having some Mettle, it will not apply to that Mettle.
    3. The Bonus Dextrous Hook Damage From the Trait in Your Skill Tree Does Not Apply to the Description of the Skill, Unsure if it Does Not Affect Damage or Not.

    Wasn't sure where to put this but I'd like to recommend Brawler get a skill similar to Wardens Battle Prep where they can swing their fists at the Air and get Mettle/setup bonuses before a fight. Would feel very aesthetic as a brawler to psyche myself up before a fight by punching the air like boxers do :)

    Final Words: In my time playing Brawler, I've very much enjoyed the class. Even with ALL of the issues I listed, I enjoy the class. It's just fun to landscape quest as a punchy lad. With the issues I listed getting fixed, it'd be even better. Thanks for reading and feel free to leave and other feedback!

    submitted by /u/HalfthemanMarco
    [link] [comments]

    New players perspective this game is magical

    Posted: 18 Oct 2021 08:14 AM PDT

    I don't think the amazon version would run on my potato so i'm glad they cancelled it tbh

    I saw a flock of birds above me flying by and I really felt like I was in the lord of the rings world

    why oh why didn't I get into this game sooner

    Right now i'm leveling in the shire I'm having a blast :D

    submitted by /u/Yourbeefing27
    [link] [comments]

    Died while in a cinematic while inside Strider quest room and lost title

    Posted: 18 Oct 2021 01:54 PM PDT

    Thanks to everyone who joined our "Chicken and a Biscuit" run on Treebeard!

    Posted: 18 Oct 2021 01:14 PM PDT

    Ram Dúath , Angmar and in my opinion a very beautiful waterfall with the moon.

    Posted: 18 Oct 2021 12:35 PM PDT

    [SSG Official] Extra Life 2021, Team Standing Stone Games, and You!

    Posted: 18 Oct 2021 04:14 PM PDT

    The Smoking Adventures of Beniliborn Stormsting: Part 13

    Posted: 18 Oct 2021 01:21 PM PDT

    Question: anyone played a melee class through Rohan since U30.3?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2021 06:57 PM PDT

    Hi all Just wondering if anyone has played a melee class through/in Rohan (on level) since U30.3? With bridles in the new system being non functional, is it slow going to play without MC? Have an alt approaching this area and wondering if I should wait until bridles form part of the LI update before tackling Rohan. Appreciate it

    submitted by /u/vancityryan
    [link] [comments]

    Fall festival

    Posted: 18 Oct 2021 05:59 PM PDT

    Is there a brawl equivalent for you to farm infinite tokens? Ty

    submitted by /u/teach_me_how_to_die
    [link] [comments]

    We just bought this with a friend and were experiencing when i suddenly beheld a frightening sight...

    Posted: 18 Oct 2021 09:48 AM PDT

    Sword & board guardian leveling

    Posted: 18 Oct 2021 10:11 AM PDT

    Now that the new LI system is released will leveling a s&b guardian viable?

    Mine is stuck at 90 on the way to Aldburg and struggled to kill most mobs.

    I know 2h is better at do's and solo, but I want to stick to my axe and my shield. Advice on builds and traits?

    submitted by /u/Serpe
    [link] [comments]

    Can you miss/outlevel quests?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2021 03:32 AM PDT

    New player. Been raising different classes to 20 to see which one I like most. To compare, I get them to Ered Luin and start there.

    But I get the feeling I am missing some quests. For example, one is still carrying around an iron collar from a wolf (I'm not sure where that quests ends anyway, just seemed to go away on most chars). Clearing out inventory sometimes will give a "quest abandoned" and you can start again in some minutes or something like that but it doesn't say what the quest is. It's confusing. Is it only holding a fixed number of quests and abandoning old ones when I accept more? Does throwing away a quest item allow the quest to be restarted later? Or are some quests being outleveled and no longer available?

    Edit: Thanks for the prompt replies. I am a story player so I hope to see every bit of the game available! I will look for that "show quests below level" switch, sounds very helpful.

    submitted by /u/zupnips
    [link] [comments]

    looking to join the ranks.

    Posted: 18 Oct 2021 07:38 AM PDT

    Looking to downloading and playing lotro. I have a little money I could put into the game if needed but is there a preference on server? Looking to play either beor or captain unless brawler would be worth waiting for?

    submitted by /u/Lilluc06
    [link] [comments]

    New Legendary item guide?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2021 08:04 AM PDT

    I was wondering if anyone knew of a good, easy to follow guide for the new system? I've got as far as appraising my stuff and getting a lot of currency but in the new room in Rivendell I'm kinda lost. Trying to make hunter gear.

    Thanks for any help

    submitted by /u/alphawarframe
    [link] [comments]

    Fall festival 2021 some questions

    Posted: 18 Oct 2021 12:12 PM PDT

    Hello, hopefully nobody asked this yet. I don' t understand how can I her anfalas starlit crystals and figments of splendour. Any hint?

    submitted by /u/Weird-Ad2400
    [link] [comments]

    Undelete Character

    Posted: 18 Oct 2021 08:33 AM PDT

    Recently submitted request to undelete Character, just curious how long the wait has been for any other players that have done the same.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/shagg1988
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best race for hunter? as far as min maxing goes.

    Posted: 18 Oct 2021 06:20 AM PDT

    I decided I want to play as hunter as my first character and first time playing LOTRO but I'm really big into min maxing. I've heard that min maxing may not be the biggest deal in LOTRO for a lot of people but it will still bother me to not have the "best" race for my class according to min maxing. So what would that be? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/halflinghomie1
    [link] [comments]

    Me crying at the end of “The return of the king” but I hate showing my emotions.

    Posted: 18 Oct 2021 10:37 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment